Wednesday, August 23

The Greatest Thing You'll Ever Learn is to Love and to Be Loved in Return

This is an old blog I published on MSN in the summer,but I kinda thought it was worth sharing.
I am sure somebody more intellectually challenging than the director of "Moulin Rouge" wrote these wonderful words...Whichever way, I am reminded of these words and of a wee argument I had with my best friend at Bible College. He had just got engaged and argued that the greatest feeling of all is to love someone with every part of yourself and to know that that love is reciprocated in the same way. At the time my super spiritual, "holy-er than-thou" attitude made me say that the greatest thing of all is to merely love, unconditionally, without expecting anything in return... but is that true?! Don't really think so. God has created us to cherish us with His totally awesome, unconditional love, true. See creation, observe the cross.. On the other hand, though he has also enabled us to be love givers and love recepients, desperate to love and to be loved.. and now more than ever I know that. Just a thought..




Anyway, I leave you with a statuary Evan McGregor delivering a more than acceptable interpretation of "My Song" by Elton John (1971, I believe)

No comments: