Saturday, December 8

A Movable Feast

Only Hemingway, in his linguistic confidence and exquisite intentness with words, could have coined such a sublime, perfectly describing title for his book, A Movable Feast. "A Movable Feast" it's an expression which encompasses a great deal of significance; narrating the author's Parisian years through the bohemian 1920's, one is transported into life through Hemingway's eyes - the cafes, the places, the people, even the smells which intertwine, encounter, cross, enrich and mark his life. In the opening chapter, it is described the scene of a man, sitting outside a Parisian cafes on a cold autumn day... I can't remember exactly how the story goes, but I have this picture vivid in my head of a middle aged man, sat by a small wrought iron table, longish going grey haired, wearing a long beige rain-coat, a gray woollen scarf, intellectual looking tortoise-shell specs, black hat on the spare chair, writing onto his Moleskine notebook whilst smoking a cigar, his coffee cooling down on the table...As he writes, people stop by, meet up with him, are noticed or ignored, stories are being born. As I sat on the train on Wednesday, a man kindly gave up his seat for me. Instead, he had to go and sit opposite another man, pretty much his age. They started to converse under the most banal circumstances to then end up discussing roughly everything under the sun - politics, philosophy, society, economics, justice, love, stereotypes, life. A feast that can be movable. How can lives so diverse from each other, so varied, so different, be shared, reinterpreted, discussed, expanded upon, in strange contexts. All this is the alchemy of our common humaity where, on the journey of our lives takes us to all sort of places, even without ever moving.

4 comments:

el loco oficial said...

I am nicely surprised again by your using of English language although you are not Hemingway. Brilliant post, congratulations on it. Apart from that, thank you for reminding me of this author which I read 15 years ago last time (from whom the bells toll). I put this one in my list and hope to improve my English through its reading. Seems to be great

john heasley said...

Really profound, I love it, it is amazing how we all interact, but i believe we have to be open to that interaction. There are those that shut themselves away to the world even though they live the same life as someone who uses their life to breath humanity to everyone they meet.

The Wee Italian Chick said...

I agree John. When it comes to human interaction we are all equals: the key is what we make of what we have been given. Nice thought there.

El Loco Official: you totally humble me with your flattering comments. Thank you. Also, do catch up on some good old Hemingway, he was a wonderful author indeed.

el loco oficial said...

Don't worry, as you know, English is not my first language at all (that's obvious, just take a look at what I write...) so don't pay too much attention to what I say, nor to my flattering comments haha ;)