Thursday, December 27

A Year...

The changability of life is an issue that will possibly never cease to intrigue me. Life that moves,changes,evolves somehow. As most people, I have a little "End of the Year" ritual - I assess the year that has just gone by and ponder upon valuable or less significant changes I would like to see in the coming year. In other words, I think...way too much. Nevertheless, I have always found this sort of meditation on life really handy in giving me better direction, more precise goals, aim better and, one would hope, make things better each year. Sometimes I manage,sometimes I fail, sometimes I learn from it all. This year has been incredibly difficult on so many levels, but I stand here with a smile on my face, a tranquil and serene smile, because I now know for a fact that what doesn't break us, makes us stronger indeed. A year ago I made a set of good intentions and resolutions for 2007. I randomly stumbled upon them again this morning to discover, to much of my surprise, that, with the exception of improving my French, all of them did come true!! May be not in the way I had thought those things would take place, but eventually they all happened and I am much better off as a result! But this is certainly not meant to be a paternalistic, condiscending message of victory, but an attempt to keep on trying to improve. If I could give a title to this year like one gives a title to a book, it would probably be "The Year of the Second Chances" - rarely does it happen at my young age to be given an opportunity to be transferred back to their life when they were half the age they are now and facing people and circumstances with a newly acquired sense of maturity, stability, experience and self confidence. I feel truly blessed for this. I truly do not want to mess it all up this time around. So here it is to second chances and the experiences which have made us the people we are!

3 comments:

el loco oficial said...

You made me remain pensive for a while. I've been thinking about this particular issue, "a year", for last two days (as most people probably)...
I wanna change in a way, in the way that I hope to stop doing so many things...I know "a priori" that I won't make it, since it implies strugling against what I am basicly: "non-stop-different-eclectic-activity"
At least, I try and next year tell you the results...
It's funny how I told myself to catch up with the languages I could speak, write, read...some years ago: French, English, German, Portuguese...hehe, they are all rusty nowadays..
by the way: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Karenkool said...

Amen to that sistah! I'm glad you have a sense of accomplishment for the year 2007. I'm afraid to take a look back--hahah. Happy 2008. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Cant find a way to follow you I am new to this but I love ur spirit and ur blogs!