Monday, April 23

You Can Never Hold Back Spring

"You Can Never Hold Back Spring" is a simply wonderful song by Tom Waits. I was listening to it yesterday morning in the car, on the way back from Cambridge, shortly after my friend informed me of Lindsey's sudden departure. I was devastated even though I never met her in person..I felt my friends bereavement and pain, which painfully added upon my own grief and suffering for all the heart ache I have gone through over the past few months. Paradoxically, all around me looked so beautiful. The sun was high in the sky; the flowers in bloom and even the birds in the air were singing. A huge contrast with my contrite and overcast heart. Like as if the angels were rejoicing whilst I was in outer despair because I could not see beyond my own pain. C.S. Lewis wrote that "Pain is God's megaphone to a deaf world"... Through my pain, Tom Waits reminded me of what I think God would want to wisper in my ear: despite the harshness and devastation of the icy cold winter, spring can never be held back, neither can the re-birth of joy and wholeness a broken soul so desperately longs for. Spring will be back, eventually.

'You can never hold back spring', Tom Waits (introduction to Roberto Benigni's "The Tiger and the Snow", 2005)

7 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

"Black is the beauty of the brightest day" was how one poet described it. I'm sorry to hear of your woes, Ivonne. I hope it won't be long before joy returns to your life.

roast honey said...

Ivonne I don't know ur circumstances but a yr ago i watched my mum in pain, die of cancer, since then God has fostered so much compassion in me. I found that time so hard, i didn't respond like al, i didn't want to talk to God, i couldn't. I didn't lose faith but found it hard to stand. During that time i found solace in a song called 'Help me stand, when it's all that i can do not to fall.' That's my prayer for u. Ur right- i hate winter-mum died at xmas- i love spring. bring on newness.

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Interesting quote Gorilla, and thank you for your empaty. I too wish that happiness is coming back soon - joy has always been there, deep in my heart as a natural, innate gratitude for life's beauty..it is the lack of 'good news' however that is not too pleasant at the moment..but we'll pull through.

Jen, I hear what you say. My mom is fighting her battle against cancer at the moment, and it is not easy to watch, I know. I was very angry with God at first - then I could not resist his overwhelming compassion and comfort and learnt to love him even more..'coz even when I can't stand, his loving arms hold me up. In doing so, I am seeing myself being changed - guess you are right. Thank you for your care.

Come Back Brighter said...

I don't really have any words for this, but I'm thinking of you

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Thanks,Jay, I appreciate your support. BTW, what's up with the evil looking pic?

Come Back Brighter said...

The evil looking pic is Annakin Skywalker, and represents that I have turned to the dark side (that is, gone back to work in PR). I need to get some contact lenses like those ;)

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Didn't know you were a starwars fan? Hey - glad the new job is going well and loving your art - a bit too skint to afford it quite yet, but if you fancy donating something for charity...mmm...(",)