Monday, September 24

Cultural Full Immersion

They often ask me if I ever missed home, felt homesick during the time I was abroad. Strangely enough, I doubt I ever did. Inevitably, there were times when I missed my origins, 'what it's good about the land of my nativity', our unique way of 'doing things', 'living life'; times of slight frustration over occasional lack of cross-cultural-communication abilities. Other than that, maybe due to both my flexibility and the British tolerance to coexisting realities, I have always comfortably felt like a cosmopolitan, a citizen of the world. My return to Italy it's a big surprise for everyone - me included. Nonetheless, it is a rather comfortable surprise, fluid, 'flat as a pancake'. Currently, it feels like when an exchange student goes abroad and experiences the culture and folklore of a different country. That's a very similar experience to my 'Italian Full Immersion', with the added value that this time it is not a holiday, it is lasting and it is mine. I like that. The always filled with busyness life of the Wee Italian Chick, has not chased to be so. As a result, the past few weeks have been oozing with Italian-ness.. Based on a 2003 novel by Antonio Pennacchi, Il Fasciocomunista, "Mio Fratello E' Figlio Unico" (literally "My Brother is an Only Child"), it's a fresh and refreshing product of contemporary Italian cinematography I had the pleasure of watching on Monday night. Directed by Daniele Luchetti, starring the now super-acclaimed, by both public and critics, Riccardo Scamarcio (the hottie off generational movies such as "Tre Metri Sopra il Cielo" and"Ho Voglia di Te"), tells the story of two brothers growing up in the immediate post WW2 and, in doing so, with incredible irony,acumen,lightheartedness, narrates the story of a changing country from a political, cultural and social point of view. Another movie I recently watched about a changing Italy it's leftwing genious director, Nanni Moretti, latest work: Il Caimano.Il Caimano is an open accusation of Berlusconi's politics, corruption and popularity.Nevertheless, in Moretti's words, 'Il Caimano ' is not only a political film. He stated that the film deals mainly with the cultural vices of Italian people, and also the story about the dissolution of a common family. Is this the sign of change?

5 comments:

Mimosa said...

Similar story Ivonne - after three yrs in the UK went back home and nobody expected me to stay as long as I did! Yet it was a very good time. There's a season for everything, and God knows what He does!

But anyways, I know what you are talking about, by firsthand experience! :)

john heasley said...

I watched a great film from your homeland a while back, 'I'm Not Scared', disturbing, but brilliantly made. Hope you are well

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Mimou!!!! Never quite got around congratulating you on the recent move to the land of the Scotts! Well done, hope you are truly happy there! Yap: defo a season for everything: this is mine for STUDYIIIIIIIIIIIING!!! Arrrr!

I am good John! Hope you are better too! (Facebook told me you were feeling a wee bit poorly...) "I am not scared" is a wonderful movie indeed. Try also "the 100 steps" and the ones I recently watched, they are really good stuff.

Tanya Heasley said...

If it is a sign of change, what are your thoughts on that?

When John and I lived in Mallorca, I didn't miss England, only the people. But now that I am back here, I've come to accept my country, (well actually, I've grown more tolerant of it).

The Wee Italian Chick said...

I like rethoric question these days, I like to think of it as a sign of "maturity" when I am no longer concerned with getting my point across at all costs or finding an answer..but I am willing to explore, listen. I agree that I too have grown more and more "tolerant", but also that things have improved a great deal over the past 10/15 yrs. Who knows? xx