Sunday, September 9

Stereotypes (part I)

On one of my last flights from England to Northern Ireland, I came across an article in the Easyjet magazine about the stereotypical differences amongst European men and women. After all, it is a 35 minute flight and at 6 am I am rarely in the mood for profoundly intellectual thinking - so trashy magazines normally do the trick. The writer presented a blatantly over-simplistic description of moody-ever-super-slim Parisian women, never-failing-punctual German men and overly stylish Italian ladies wearing big sunglasses even after sunset. When it came to Italian men, they were described as impeccably stylish, perfectly groomed and possessing the irresistible charm of a thousand Casanovas. I inevitably giggled. I am often amused when people abroad have these mental images, stereotypes, fantasies, dare I say, about foreign citizens. In E.M. Forster's novel, "A Room With A View", the gentle ladies of England are warned against the brute, passionate nature of the Italian males. I just love that book. It is like the much cheekier, more raw, even kinkier version of Jane Austen! What causes me hilarity is that, from personal experience, I am not entirely sure on whether the Italian male is raw passionate, incurably romantic or merely arrogant and sleazy. Even though I have always known it to be in my nature to be an observer of people around me, how they behave and interact with each other, I have noticed this inclination has increased ever since I made a return to the Homeland. In Notting Hill, Anna Scott recites the lines "Rita Hayworth used to say: ' They go to bed with Gilda and wake up with me'." To which William replies: "Who is Gilda?" and Anna Scott says: "Her most famous part. Men went to bed with the dream; they didn't like it when they would wake up with the reality." I wonder if often it is the same with stereotypes. Many people dream, fantasize about others in the hope they will be better than what they have, often forgetting that it is what we are intrinsically that makes us unique, not or national identity...right?

***To Be Continued***

4 comments:

Tanya Heasley said...

When John and I were in Roma, as we walked around the city, you would not believe how many Italian men called out to me, or wolf whistled, blatenly in front of John.

So my pre-comprehension of most Italian men being casanovas, was confirmed from first hand experiance during my time in Roma.

A t-shirt worn by Madonna in the 'Papa don't preach', music video, 'Italians do it better', what, do they do better?

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing they whistle better then most, with all that practice :)

It's true what they say about us geeks, we have a sizeable urrrrrr Hard Drive :) 1TB of storage space, how could a woman not love a geek for those advantages alone?!?!?!

Miss you... but to be honest, your replacement is soooooo much better. Should hear Mr Holme complain, oh that Ivonne, she was just useless... I try to defend you but he just won't hear it, besides we all know the problems are rooted from when Sarah did the job... :)

Anonymous said...

I'm just back from a few days in Florence. Oh beautiful city... And I just read your post Stereotypes part II about Italian men. Well I must confess... I love them all!!!

Nina

Mimosa said...

Nice to be reminded of that quote Ivonne, and very good one too! Got me thinking. So thanks for reminding :)