Tuesday, July 10

A Better Way?

On Sunday night I briefly scanned through a couple of channels. On "Come Dine With Me" there was a vegan contestant who challenged a carnivore contestant to take up a vegan way of eating and life style. It was so compelling: I mean, the guy obviously fancied the red-head-vegan lady,but it was incredible to witness to a blatant example of positive peer-pressure. You see, the guy was astounded to hear for the first time in his life about animal cruelty, vegan cuisine, Mr McDonald's destroying acres and acres of valuable forests to create green pastures for his soon-to-slaughter cattle..not to mention the farmer's families who, for little money's gain, are forced to flee the countryside, populate the already over-crowded cities to become then unemployed, unresourced, under-skilled and often homeless, in need of aid. Oh, and don't come and blame him when your house gets flooded in the middle of July.. I must say I never was a big meat-eater (blame it on my grandma chasing me around the place in an attempt to force-feed me cow's brain and lamb's liver..) There are still stories being told about me, aged 7, sitting around the dining table, opposite a solitary sole for over two and a half hours. Going into my teen-age years I chose I would become a vegetarian..experience which lasted a mere two years, led me into anorexia and amplified my issues on control. Things then begun to pick up when I realised that all is good in moderation. I would love to share embarrassing pictures of me at a Carnivore dinner at a renown carvery in Nairobi, Kenya, where I scoffed off the equivalent of half the Kenyan fauna. On my healthier days, I am a very conscientious eater. Like you have heard me ranting about a few days back, I try really hard to lead a good and righteous life - I would feel hypocritical and discontent if I had it any different. However, I often consider whether I should be doing more to be truly ethical. Unlike other groups, vegans seem to live up to what they preach. I like that about them: they are integral. Last night I had a bit of a moment. As you all know by now I am cat sitting for my friends' hairy cat. On my way back from the gym I stopped by to feed Mr Cat. As I walked in I noticed an unidentified object on the floor. After a close inspection I discovered that my worst fears had met their day: it was a featherless baby chick, cruelly murdered by the assassin cat. Despite my notorious nick name, the wee Italian chick, and my celebrated fearlessness to blood, human disease and other nasty phoenomena, I have an unexplainable phobia of birds. I hate pigeons, I hate birds flying low, I feel squeamish eating chicken and please don't mention where the egg came from when I am eating it.. All this is giving me space for considerations.. Today I have submitted my proposal to make the Learning and Skills council a fair-trade/ more environmentally friendly institution. What if veganism was the next step? We'll see.

11 comments:

Tanya Heasley said...

I was a vegetarian as well, not because of animals being killed (I believe it's their purpose and all part of the food chain, you don't see any vegetarian lions, do you?).

I stopped eating meat because it gave me a bad tummy, but I missed spag. bol. which is one of my favourite dishes, along with chilli con carne, and so I started eating meat again, although not everyday day.

Karenkool said...

"please don't mention where the egg came from when I am eating it" baaahhahaha I've never thought of that while eating in egg! You are too funny. So sorry you had so face such a tragedy as the kill of the hairy cat! S/he must have been proud and been offering you a gift for all your services!

Tanya Heasley said...

Did you change your layout again?

I liked the one before.

Baron Hashbrown said...

I was also briefly a vegi... but got over it. I think it's fine for people to have a personal preference on this kind of thing but I don't consider it to be unethical to eat meat. Although we have to come to terms with the fact something had to die to provide us with a tasty meal, as Tanya says, we are all part of the food chain. If we were all vegan then that would put sheep, cows, pigs and chickens out of this food chain. Nobody else eats them so they would have no purpose. I couldn't imagine walking through the country and not seeing animals or even grass fields as all farming would have to be arable and farms in those areas unsuitable for arable crops would fail. It would also put humans as by far the most populous mammal. I wouldn't like that, there's too many of us as it is!

Great to see you last week Ivonne! Have you ever wondered what cat tastes like?

The Wee Italian Chick said...

I totally agree with the whole food-chain thing, but I think the issue we are experiencing is that, some Western countries especially, have based their diets on an extraordinary consumption of animal products-selfish fast food greed?

Baron: I can see your point, and I don't have a problem with traditional organic farming (as you know) but it bugs me when we exploit earthily resources to satisfy our greed. Anyway, got all serious, Cat meat is not on the gourmet list yet, I am so very tempted!! Grrrrrrrrrr!!! Thank God my friends are back tomorrow. Yuppy!
PS: Great to see you too!

Karen: Dunno if I'm funny or psycho..mmm..either way, thanks! Ye, have been told cats bring in "presents" when they like ya..but I never asked for his affection?!?!?!>

Tanya: Please don't mention the blog template- lost all the info last night,had to write it up again. By that stage changing the template was out of the question!!!! Will see what I can do!

Come Back Brighter said...

I don't have the willpower to be Vegan, although I agree with it on almost every level -- but as I continue to eat meat, I think I would prefer a more "primitive" hunter-gatherer approach to it, rather than the "industry".

And I hope you didn't punish Mr Cat

el loco oficial said...

i'm glad to have bumped into your blog through Cayetana Altovoltaje. A little problem though: my english is gettin' a bit rusty nowadays...
i just wanna point out what u just said: all is good in moderation or, in other words, "virtue is in the middle" (Aristotle). By the way, nice place, beautiful layout and the "wee aforisms all around"...i like'em too!
Take care.

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Jay: can't lie to ya: I kicked the evil creature!!! Grrrrrrrr (I swear I am still a non-violent pacifist, but that cat brings the worse out of me!!!)

"El Loco Official" - Encantada de conoscerte! There is a quote by Henri Truman that says that "the only thing that is new in the world is the history we do not know" - guess many of the ancient thinkers had it all figured out way before us!! Thanks for the kind words and welcome to the gang! (",)

Brian said...

I've been to the carnivore in Nairobi, what a meat fest

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Totally, Brian! I felt like such a ...pig afterwards!!! My heart started pounding fastest than ever..it was not a nice feeling!

Cayetana Altovoltaje said...

The reason why I could never be vegan has five letters: J-A-M-Ó-N.
Oh and seafood, as well. I understand and partly agree with vegan arguments about how many humans we could feed with what is needed to raise a cow, but still, I'm not willing to turn my diet into a political statement.
So you and Baron met without me!!??? So bummed I couldn't be there!! Oh well, there's enough cider to drown all my sorrow, ha ha!!
BTW, nothing came of that... you know, JC-superstar etc. And just as well... living la vida loca, baby!!!