Thursday, July 5

Freedom Is...

When my mom and dad first started dating in the late 1970's, they used to write each other cards representing a semi-naked chubby character (cupid-like) who made statements such as "love is.." (Nothing kinky relax - I promise I will scan some of them in as soon as I get back home). Must admit it was a bit of a shock when, age 9, I found those cards in a box at the bottom of mommy's wardrobe (not to mention my dad's personal journals...) - do you think one goes to hell for nosing into their parents journals?! Anyway. All this just to explain the title of my post! Also it has just occurred to me that writing kinda runs in the family.I wish I could say "we don't talk much", hence we write, but that would be a blatant lie. What can I say: we are just a communicative type of family, that's all... This morning I was reading the Metro on my way to work. In front page an article about Alan Johnston, the BBC journalist freed after being held by Palestinian militants for 114 days. On being free he rather articulately stated, "You want to do everything at the same time, to read books and papers, go to the movies, beach and sit in the sun, and eat and talk and all the rest of it." But is that really what freedom means? I am intrigued. Karen recently introduced me to a new American slang expression, "to check one's vitals",to check your email, myspace, facebook, blog, and/or any daily essential websites. Check your vitals. For example: "Get off the computer, whore. I need to check my vitals." "Hey, wanna go get something to eat?Sure, but lemme finish checkin' my vitals first." I mean how free can one truly be when the indication of their freedom is judged against their ability to possess a certain knowledge, communicate interactively, access the right facilities. The idiotic former Italian prime minister, Silvio Berlusconi, once stated, with regards to the "War on Terrorism" that the Eastern world is an uncivilized world. He is an idiot and there is no doubt about that, however, how often are many of us guilty of considering, more or less consciously, non-Western civilizations less erudite, cultured and, let's face it, 'civilized'? In Italy we have this Encyclopedia called "Treccani" - the whole collection costs an average of £20K (that's, of course, without the dictionary and the additional supplements..) I know because my dad very generously bought me the whole thing when I was about 12. Along goes the opinion that if you don't have one of those, you are a nobody. What?! That's outrageous, isn't it? What about those who use the public library? (after all the fact that you possess an encyclopedia does not automatically imply that you read it) Moreover, who decided what "civilized", "cultured", "hip" is? How free we really are if our lives are so much dictated by the gym we go to to get the body magazines impose us to have by eating/not eating the foods we are told are "good for us", listening to the music we are told to listen to, watch the movies we have heard about and read the books of the moment? I am sick of the package holidays. Sick of doing the things everybody else does without even questioning them. But, for all of my talk, I am caught up in this huge spiral deeper than I ever thought I could be. Make up, wax, scrubbing, moisturising, tonic, three liters of water per day, 5 portions of fruit/veg, exercise at least three times a week (anything less is sloppy), walk instead of taking the car, buy organic and fairtrade, take your own recycled bag to the supermarket, buy "Word" magazine once a month and, when no-one is watching, get "Glamour" too (just for the little free gift, of course), skinny-sugar-free-fat-free-heck-taste-free fairtrade drink...ENOUGH!

9 comments:

Cayetana Altovoltaje said...

Honey, everything you want... JUST NOT GLAMOUR!!! Oh and I love the big bragas. And the new layout. Classy!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, you really did your business yesterday afternoon.

Well done miss... the new layout is nifty.

The Wee Italian Chick said...

What's classy: the big panties or the new layout?! Lol! I think I have overdosed in tackiness recently - footloose at the party, the Fall at "the Ritz" on my birthday and now this! Lovin' it! Hope all is well in sunny Espana! Love ya babe, xx

Cliff with a C - a message a 8 am!?!?! You are like a professional stalker,aren't ya! C ya shortly - I am coming to pester you a little! (",)

Tanya Heasley said...

Clap, clap, clap! Isn't it great to have a good rant.

Love your new layout too.

Karenkool said...

I love my freedom! I hope to never lose it. I thought the big pants were classy too! hee

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Guys, I hope you know that the pants are a curtesy of Ms Bridget Jones (though I swear I have a pair like those in a draw somewhere...)

I am still a little unsure about the layout..mmm...we'll see!

Karenkool said...

No I love it--the layout! I would have grabbed it if it weren't for one of my other friends getting it first.

john heasley said...

Haven't been here for a while, having a scan through and reading this post was great, I love it, its my point of view exactly. The wonders of western freedom, dependence on money, how we look, what job we have, how big our house is. And then what... bring on the revolution

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Class, John, totally class! I would really love to read the poisonwood bible, get rid of all my possession, lead a "freer life"..