Monday, October 30

The Making of a Dream

Everyone has got dreams, don't they? When we were children, who of us didn't dream to be someone or do something - astronauts, fire wardens, professional ballet dancers or, if you were my little sister, "assistant at the deli counter”…guess insanity runs in the family! I remember when I was a little girl, I dreamt to be a painter at first (age 3-10), then an architect (that one didn't last too long, from 10-11 and that's only because I fancied my art teacher who was an architect..),then my passion for writing (you would have never guessed, eh?!) made me want to be a journalist; but that one didn't last too long either, so by the age of fourteen all I wanted to be was a medical doctor. Yes: the white coat and all, but more importantly I had to find a way to fulfill my desire to be helpful to others, to understand things not to mention my sheer marvel at the complexity and perfection of the human body (an evident manifestation of the divine intelligence at work, in my opinion. Anyway, all this was just an intro to today's blog.
Many of you fellow bloggers, including my wee sis, have produced lists of things you would like to do by the time you reach a certain age…now, I have tried that one, but it doesn't seem to be working for me and the reason is simple:
a. the amount of aspirations I have is a list as long as my arms!
b. I don't do deadlines anymore.
You see, I used to plan my life down to the minute; I used to feel the urge to be in control of my existence, thus causing myself major disappointments when those goals were not reached or not perfectly performed according to plan. In this way not only I caused myself a lot of unnecessary heart aches, but I also misunderstood a vital lesson which is that satisfaction and fulfillment are not the mere product of achieving goals; more so, they are the result of contemplation, reflection and enjoyment of the many unexpected events, side-paths and random encounters which accompany and curve our life journey by making it interesting, unpredictable and enriching. Try to believe.
So in as much as I am incapable of producing a list of the five/ten things I want to do by the time I’ll be “x” years old, I am fully aware of the dreams which keep little task oriented dreamers, like me, going. But I’ll keep the list to myself for now.

No comments: