Thursday, December 21

Fantasy, Reality and Cognizant Creative Imagination

I admit the title of this blog is a bit of a mouthful, but I had the urge to be able to express what I felt somehow eloquently and coherently.
Ever since Bea "deserted me" (slight exaggeration as usual) I haven't particularly enjoyed being at home on my own so I have been out most of the time. Both last night and tonight I have been at the cinema. Needless to say, this Christmas season's movie listings have been pretty poor and rather disappointing, in my opinion.


When I was a child, like now, I used to love going to the cinema and there was an increased sense of expectation around the Christmas time because everybody knew the "big movies" would come out at that time. Nowadays, it is difficult enough to find a decent movie in a year, let alone a single season.

Nonetheless, the past two views have been sligtly alleviated me of my growing skepticism.
"El Labirinto del Fauno"(Pan's Labyrinth) directed by Mexican Guillermo Del Toro (Hellboy, Blade 2,The Devil's Backbone..) is a visually stunning, captivating film about fantasy that in its irrational and unbelievable nature finds, paradoxically, staggering parallels with a disturbingly cruel reality. Set after the Civil War when the maquis waged guerilla resistance against Franco, the film follows the adventures of a young girl whose mother married a sadistic fascist officer. The girl encounters a faun and manages to enter his enchanted and dangerous world. (8/10)
The other master-piece is "The Wizard of Oz". Ok, you may accuse me of infantilism: but I loved every minute of it! You see: one thing is to watch The Wizard of Oz as a child, with awe and fear, but it is a completely different matter to watch it with a second naivity, as a "grown up"(whatever that means!) I laughed so much I cried! I warmly reccomend it.

Going back to my original title...what can I say: I grew up reading tales of northern European mythology intertwined with native American litterature and ancient Greek wisdom and Persian, North African and Roman fascination for the mysteries of metaphysics - I was bestowed with a precious gift: the power of imagination where reality, fairytales and spirituality would often merge together in a enchanting location of the mind. In as much as I seek to discipline myself to skeptically deny the fiabesque elements of life, I often find that fairytales are not as unrealistic as they are portrayed to be. In their own antrophomorfic interpretation, we all have witches, fairies, the eternal battle between good and evil right at our door step..just a thought..

...to be continued...................

2 comments:

Cayetana Altovoltaje said...

I love The Wizard of Oz, and I haven't seen it in such a long time! Here's something fantastic and creepy: last night I dreamt I had a "ghost" cat living in my house and only I could see it...
I think I should stop eating at night.

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Don't tell me about it-I always have weird dreams!Like last night I dreamt someone asked me to put up two of their friends from Northern Ireland and this morning one of the guys from church called to ask me exactly that!Freky or what?