Thursday, December 7

The Sound of A Generation



My early evenings television watching as a child would always open up at the sound of "Sunday, Monday, Happy Days.." the catchy tune and opening gingle to the iconic mid-70's TV serial "HAPPY DAYS". If I only mention it the theme tune is already resounding in my head! By the by, I ain't that old, what my generation of spring chickens used to watch were repeats!

Last night me and Bea where yet again trying to pick a movie to watch together and both the movies she chose had been coincidentally directed by Ron Howard. Now, being the sophisticated and cultured woman she is, my lovely housemate did recognise that this Howard guy was someone famous, but she simply did not seem to make the connection that this revelation of a director used to be Fonzie Fonzarelli's best friend, ginger geek Richie Cunningham. When I tried to establish the connection for her, she looked even more puzzled. At that moment I acknowledged that something really quite tragic had occurred: the women had been deprived as a child of quality entratainment - she had never watched HAPPY DAYS. Shocked and perplexed, I felt sorry for her and resolved within myself to make it my ultimate mission to give her an education on CULT Television. (I joke...)

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Days
Happy Days was a popular American television sitcom that originally aired between 1974 and 1984. It presented an idealized version of life in late 1950s and early 1960s America.
Happy Days centered on the life of a middle-class family, the Cunninghams, living in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The family consisted of Howard, a hardware store owner and the family patriarch; Marion, a homemaker and the family matriarch; and the couple's teenage children, Richie (who had an optimistic if somewhat naïve outlook on life), Richie's younger sister Joanie, and Richie's older brother Chuck (a character that would abruptly disappear during the second season, with no explanation given until four years later). As the series went on the story focus often shifted to additional characters, notably those of ex-New Yorker Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli, who was originally portrayed as a local thug but soon became a friend to Richie and the Cunningham family, and Fonzie's cousin Chachi, who became a love interest for Joanie Cunningham. The long-running show also resulted in several spinoff shows, many of which were highly successful in their own right.



You may accuse the program of being dated, unrealistic and, let's face it, cheesey. But "Happy Days" was a sitcom that did not want to pretenciously prove any points at all: all it set itself to do was to portray stereotypical aspects of a time past and to provide skin deep universal commedy with much success in my opinion. So Bea, my dear, here is a little introduction to an icon of 20th century entratainment.

3 comments:

boltonfan said...

Wow- you have brought back some cool memories of growing up in the 70's. I loved Happy Days and it remind me of a time when life seemed so much easier and people on the whole were a bit nicer. Maybe it was a bit too much of American sentimentality but I loved it. I loved the Fonz too, and it was expected that every girl in my class would dream of marrying the Fonz. Fancying Richie was just not acceptable.
There are lots more American iconic programmes to introduce to Bea - Mork and Mindy, The A team, Chips, Joanie loves Chachi, Dukes of Hazard, The Muppet show, Ilove Lucy, Bewitched - the list goes on. I really did have a wasted youth. I watched them all!! And regularly. But (now I sound like my mother)it was all good clean fun and you knew there was not going to be any sex, searing or violence in any of these programmes. Just pure entertainment. If some of these came back (I know you can probably get them on SKY or cable) I might think again about getting a TV license.
But for now I am happy to watch the Happy days theme tune on yur blog page. It cheered me up!!
Cheers
see ya soon
xx

Cayetana Altovoltaje said...

Hey housemate, thanks for the educational blog! I realized I had seen Ron Howard somewhere else... in the mythical movie American Graffiti!! Oh and Happy Days looks a little similar (esthetically) to a great TV show, which, though recent, was set in the 70s - That 70s show. I also know The A Team (very popular in Spain, Mr. T. such a cult icon!), The Muppet Show, Dukes of Hazard, Lucy, Bewitched...
I do think, however, that TV shows have improved dramatically in the last decade. Think of Six Feet Under, House, I don't know... Nowadays, you can take your pick.
HOUSEMATE, LET'S GET A TV LICENCE!!!

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Bea: we have a TV Licence...it's stuck on the fridge! I think what we should be getting is sat tv..but then agai, we would become even more antisocial than we already are - the HOMER SIMPSON syndrome, eh?!