Sunday, March 11

'A Woman Especially, If She Have the Misfortune of Knowing Anything, Should Conceal It As Well As She Can'

Jane Austen, "Northanger Abbey" (1817)
Identification seems to be a recurrent theme in my life at the moment. Due to a newly found sensitivity, I appear to have developed a greater sense of empathy not only with given circumstances and people I know, but also with historical characters, movie protagonists and intellectual personalities.I am a girl, right? And, as every educated Western young lady, I have been brought up to love Jane Austen's writings,to be besotted with the perfectionist ideal of a prospective Mr Darcy and to be contineously inspired by the fictional characters and groundbreaking life of miss Austen. All this gives me the irresistable impulse to read up about her, watch movies about her, identify with Jane Austin. Last night I went to see "Becoming Jane" which, as an allegedly stereotypical female rom-com, substancially exceded all of my expectations. Casting the incredibly talented James McAvoy. The 28 year old Scotsman is winning me over time and again: after playing the quarkie faun in "The Chronicles of Narnia" and the idealistic doctor in "The Last King of Scotland", his performance as Tom Lefroy, the Irish bohemian city bachellor who is willing to forsake it all for love's sake, was an intense exploit of passion,pathos and raw talent. On the other hand, Anne Hathaway was beautiful and adequately impressive in the clothes of a witty and intelligent young Jane Austin. Cherry on the cake was a rather "quiet" hunky brother Henry, Joe Anderson. The film is based on the early life of author Jane Austen and her possible flirtations with Thomas Langlois Lefroy.I wouldn't want to spoil the story line for you, but the alleged romance between this two is portrayed to go way beyond mere youthful infatuation, but is a real exchange of passionate besottment and livid desire which widens the spectrum of the author's scriptorial inspiration and shapes her views and characterization of her fictionary entourage (all,remarkably,with no explecit sex scenes!!!). My sister often teases me to be a lesser-postmodern version of miss Austin. Who knows, maybe if Jane was born in 1983, she would have been a blogger!!! I can only dream of being like her; however, I can yet again identify with another young woman's struggles. 200 years later I still often fear that a well educated woman is surreptitiously regarded as a threat to masculine pride and male dominance. I am convinced that even confident,erudite,enterprising knights in shiny armour fear, deep within, to be confronted by a woman who 'knows what she's talking about'..(I am dying to hear your views on this one!)Jane Austin eventually ended up never to marry - regardless of her pleasant apparence,wit,sensitivity and potential persuiters. I am not saying that her singleness was exclusively motivated by male perceived inadequacy; Jane fought the self-distructive battle between her undying romanticism and idealism contrasting with unclement rules and regualtions of a money-driven society.
And there was me thinking I had something new to say....
Lying on the sofa on a cold Sunday afternoon reading "Pride and Prejudice" for the fourth time over and waiting that one day unyelding love may be able to look beyond fear of inadequacy, tollerate virtual insanity and be willing to do anything for love's sake. Sweet, ah?!

15 comments:

Cayetana Altovoltaje said...

Oh well... you know what I think of the Bridget Jones syndrome. I'll try to avoid that movie, It bothers me the way they want to turn her into one of her characters. Why is it so hard to believe she lived happily ALONE ever after?

Cayetana Altovoltaje said...

Oh and to your question: yes, I think a lot of men today STILL feel intimidated. And some women don't get it either. Our societies have a lot to learn. And this freaking fixations on marriages and "lived-happily-ever-afters" do not help.
I am the grinch of love!!! :D

Baron Hashbrown said...

Certainly this simple soul understands that an intelligent woman is a desirable one. Every woman I have dated has been brighter than myself, most being post-graduates. Afterall women of a similar intellect to my diminutive mental stature are a rare find indeed.

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Bea:I like your blatant honesty and enraged hatred for sloppy romanticism and archaic ideals.It is often a healty injection of realism! Nonetheless,I still believe in old fashioned romance - whether induced by mass media's propaganda or naturally born - and, I believe deep within we all have a natural inclination to desire "happy endings".. PS:Definitively not your kinda movie!!!! (",)xx
Steve: I realised that I should have not generalised in my post - apologies, you are one of a kind!Although,deep within, I am pretty positive that most men tend to feel intimidated by educated women...

The Wee Italian Chick said...

BTW,Bea,although they did big the romance between the two up a little (after all it's a movie!),I thought they were rather fair to miss Austen; I believe it kindly portrayed the characteristic opposition between her passionate fictional characters and a much more subdued,ordinary,dare I say,woman.

dave wiggins said...

go right ahead with sm y j

Anonymous said...

I saw the film last night and as a chick flick romantic I loved the fact that the film was based upon language and not sex and pride and prejudice makes a whol lot more sense. My favourite book ever!!
wish there was more romance in the world and whole lot less sex!!!

Mimosa said...

Heh, world is small indeed! I don't actually know ( Sussu and Mikko exactly or personally, but the often seen grandma and grandpa in their blog I do! :-)
Enjoyed your post here, I love Jane Austen too! And the question you pose at the end is a familiar one. My experience has been though that British men fear intelligent women less than Finnish counterparts!! I might be wrong though! :)

Mimosa

Mimosa said...

haha forgot to say, I faintly remembered and went to check - and yes I found: my church supports Rie&Tane's work in Japan!! :D My best friend at uni was Japanese as well. I like you already Ivonne! =)

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Mimo,I am so gobsmacked about meeting you: the world is sooo small! Also,you bring in another big issue on masculinity: cultural influences. And there was me thinking that scandinavian men were rather "liberated"!! I used to think that the Brits were different from the Italians - which,in hindsight,I am not too sure about anymore. You see,despite their less sleezy approach,in their very nature of men,have the same issues as every other guy..nice reading you!
Estelle: I thought you might like the movie,glad you did. I think I know where you are coming from, but I would not wanna exclude sexuality from the picture altogether. I am afraid that without the carnality of the sexual act,we would live in a far too unrealistic world,destined to be shattered by unmeat expectations..just some food for thought..

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Mimo - that is so great! I think we are gonna get on just fine! Blessings,xx

The Wee Italian Chick said...

i meant: UNMET (not unmeat)! D'oh!

Anonymous said...

I understand what you are saying, but I have to mention that my work is with sex-workers who are women and some men, that use it as a currency. The carnal is a prt of it, but do we live only for the carnal. The film shows that any relationship is on all five connections-spiritual, emotional,physical,intellectually&psychological. If there is no connection on one of these areas then the relationship is bound to fail and those that survive are continually working at that. look at the relationship between Jane and Lfroy!

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Estelle,I was by no means referring to abusive situation where sex,like everything else,has been exploited and manipulated. Just talking of life in general and denouncing,in a way, the dangers of "rose-tinted-glasses" idealism..

Anonymous said...

I know that - but even the general public and not sex-workers, use sex as a commodity every friday&saturday night. Just watching people and the way that dress - I loved teh connection in the film between the two characters.