Friday, March 16

'Like My Mama Used to Make It!'

For my British readers, you will have surely recognised by now where the inspiration for this post's title comes from, put on a fony Italo-American accent, drown your four fingers towards your thumb,reached your lips and blown noisy kisses in the air, vigorously begun to gesticulate in uncoordinated patterns and read the sentence again, out loud this time,(possibly even stroke your fake black mustache..) and hopefully chuckled to yourself.. For those overseas, however, 'Like Mama Used to Make It' is the catch-phrase from a series of tv ads for "Dolmio", producers of 'allegedly' Italian style pasta sauces made in Holland and tasting as Italian as sushi is a vegan Moroccan dish! Last night I watched a little bit of "The Goodfellas"with Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci and Ray Liotta. To much of my amusement, this movie portrayed a lot of, paradoxically realistic idiosyncrasies about the Mafia culture and Italians abroad in general. My friend's dad calls me "the Irish Mob" -'coz I am Italian, bossy, and have a funny distinctive Northern Irish twang in my miscellaneous English accent - go figure! Often people ask me if the mafia is a fictionary concept invented by Marlon Brando and Al Pacino, but it is so not! In as ridiculous as it may sound that one of the G8 nations, world leader for culture and arts (not to mention football) who's forefathers conceived the foundations for most international jiuridical systems, Italy is a country ruled by three legal entities: the Constitution, the Papacy and the Mafia.


"Coffee and Cigarettes, 2003"


In last night's movie, a Jewish American young lady marries a top Irish gang member of the mob (Ray Liotta). She often repeated over the course of the film that even things which should have appalled her, or at least raised her suspicion over her husband's whereabouts, suddenly became 'normal'. Likewise, most Italians stopped raising questions a long time ago and comfortably cohabit with this entangled concoction of legal systems, illegality and chaos..little nothing ever happened. We are just like 'the three wise monkeys': Don't hear, don't speak, don't see! I, on the contrary, could tell you a million and one stories about it. Like when they stole my dad's motorbike and,instead of calling the cops, we called my uncle who called a friend of his who has a friend who knows somebody...long story short: we got the bike back in less than an hour for the modest price of £100. Convenient,ah? Or do you need a ticket for a sold out concert? There is always a friend. Really don't fancy wearing that seatbelt that creases your freshly ironed fake Valentino's? Wear a t-shirt with a seatbelt drawn over it (available in most shops)...and the list could go on and on and on. Mysteriously, it all becomes 'normal' like sipping coffee sitting at the table outside a family run cafe in the piazza, or shopping at the market. I don't condone any of this, but I can see why people find it funny... Here is to the Italians' inventiveness, humor and 'gift of the gab'!

14 comments:

James said...

Haha, great post! And blog. I don't want you to think I am stalking you — mainly because I'm not — but I have to say that you live in my home town! Feel more than free to check out my blog at will:

http://avote4james.blogspot.com/

Jingo said...

I had no idea Dolmio was made in Holland. Although to be honest, I'm not too bothered if my pasta sauce doesn't taste Italian.

Can you recommend any that do have that authentic taste?

Come Back Brighter said...

People really think the Mafia is fictional?! I'm amazed. You know, in HMV you can get a "Mafia" phrasebook, teaching you key Italian phrases used in such movies...

If I asked nicely, would you teach me Italian? Not sure how you'd do it online though.

Come Back Brighter said...

I'll show my ignorance here tho: I didn't know the Mafia was "legal"? I thought crime was crime, even if it was "organised crime"?

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

These Dolmio ads really make me cringe. They seem grossly stereotypical.

This annoys me in much the same way that everyone expects me to be like a Wurzel just because I am from the West Country.

The Wee Italian Chick said...

james:nice to meet you - it's kinda freaky that we may be...neighbours? welcome to the blog!
Jingo: I know I was quite shocked myself,though, in fairness,it did make me laugh! I would personally reccommend Sacla',Barilla and Buitoni sauces - they are actually Italian and contain considerably less additive and crap.
Jay:I am actually a language tutor in my 'spare time', so if you fancy moving up to manchester I could give you a few hints. Also, mafia is not fictional, but not 'legal' either though,in places like Sicily,it is more important than the centralised gov..bizarre!
UTMG: I soooo know what you mean and it's funny that when people first meet me they are surprised that,even though I am Italian, I don't sound like the dolmio guy and stroke my non-existent tash! ;-)

The Wee Italian Chick said...

btw:WELCOME to all the new commentators! (",)xx

Gorilla Bananas said...

What does it mean when an Italian puts his thumb under his front teeth and flicks it out of his mouth? I think I saw an Italian do that.

The Wee Italian Chick said...

GB:I have actually never seen it done myself,if not in oldfashioned mafia movie and I imagine is the symbol for an unspoken "death-threat"...

Anonymous said...

Hey Ivonne - I had my car nicked in Naples and I too got ot back - mine was better than before though cos they were scared of the fact that I was english! Can I suggest just olive oil, onions, herbs and salt/pepper fried with some tinned tomatoes for 2 hours to make a great pasta sauce(adding a little water to stop it from burning!). Cheaper than all the shop bought sauces on offer and oh so much nicer!!
I remember a Mafia boss who went out every day to ask for protection from a statue of the pope, Mary (the mother of Jesus), Padre Pio ( a saint) and a statue of Lady Diana - go figure.

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Class,Estelle!Love it when 'foreigners' get the full Italian experience! (which would never be fully satisfactory if you hadn't learnt to cook, seen grown men praying supersticiously and got your car knicked!!!)
Shall be posting yummy culinary suggestions soon. (",)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.