Monday, February 19

Beauty is a Light in the Heart

"Beauty is not in the face; it is a light in the heart" is a quote by Khalil Gibran (1883-1931). I have only read "The Prophet" by this astounding author, but his evocative style and suggestive imagery have been fascinating me for a number of years and, as I am looking at some pictures taken over my visit to Naples last week, those words are resounding in my mind. Despite all the upheaval to get home and the countless hic-ups along the way (like having the most severe nose-bleed in your life as you are driving your sick mother to the er..),it was great to be home and to see my folks. Mom even managed to get home from the hospital in time for her birthday, which was a huge blessing. Not only did she look as gorgeous as usual (ever since I was a little child I have had to deal with my mates commenting on how beautiful my mom is..), but there was a radiance in her that can only be compared to pure, pentrating light shining off a lighthouse in the midst of a sea storm. She has just completed her third of six cycles of chemotherapy and despite having suffered severely from all the expected side effects of both her illness and its treatment, her moral strength,determination and faith have been admirable and inspirational. Fourty-eight and not looking a day over 25!!!My mom: what a wonderful woman she is. (If anything I looked pretty rough on her birthday..d'oh!) Love ya!! *PS: We just got the result from the first post-chemo scan and the cancer is shrinking!!! Praise God!!!

5 comments:

Miao 妙 said...

I'm so happy for your mother! :)

Baron Hashbrown said...

I can't believe how much you look like your Mum! She looks amazing, what did you put in that cake?! ;-)

Cayetana Altovoltaje said...

You both look beautiful :)
So happy for her.

Anonymous said...

hurrah - your mum looks amazing and praise God for the news.

The Wee Italian Chick said...

thanks guys for your ongoing support and complements (though my mommy is beautiful..must say!!!) - Baron,guess I should take your comment as a complement!?!;-)I'll get you the receipt,it works wonders!!!

Estelle: welcome to the blog - great to see ya and praise God indeed,don't know how we would make it without him!!