Wednesday, February 7

Elevation,Charms & Jolly Good Music

No,last night I didn't nearly die..but it was a great night! Tracked up to Liverpool to see my newly discovered musical revelation, Duke Special. It was so worth it. Their enthusiasm, professionalism, and warmth towards the audience could only highlight their beautiful lyrics and perfectly arranged music. Duke Special wisely interblend their classical musical knowledge with an astute inventiveness to experiment with diverse genres, tempos and instruments creating sublime sounds that make you smile,than sad,then frown,then introspective to finally fill you with a hope that brings you to what can only be described as spiritual elation, elevation. This is not to mention Peter Wilson's captivating charm - it must be the blond dread locks, or his spellbinding voice or may be his distinctive accent or the simple fact that he plays the piano and the piano accordion and is wicked awesome at it, I had never thought I could be so fascinated by a man wearing eyeliner! Not to worry though: the idylliac fantasy shortly terminated when we spotted his wedding ring..doh! Really good night - also worth mentioning Duke Special's percutionist, Chip Bailey, what a character: with his Angelo Branduardi long fuzzy gray hair look and a range of bizarre instruments, he contributed to entertain us no end.. On a more serious note, Stephany Dowson (who's myspace I have been unable to find yet),the support gig,was a real revelation. She is like the sweet and witty American cus of Alanise Morrisette, with a voice that could enchant you - she is very blond, very dizzy and annoingly beautiful and has a debut album coming out in May. Watch this space for further updates; meanwhile enjoy a wee taste of the remarkable Duke Special.

"Last Night I Nearly Died (but I woke up just in time)"

"Portrait"

6 comments:

Miao 妙 said...

Hey, my new URL is http://paradoxical-rose.blogspot.com. Do drop by when you are free!

And Italo Calvino is one of my all-time favorite authors. :) I love "If On a Winter's Night a Traveller" especially! And I've read writings by Umberto Eco too - "How to Travel with a Salmon and Other Essays" are achingly funny - he mixes the profane and the profound so masterfully!

Miao 妙 said...

is* achingly funny

Cayetana Altovoltaje said...

That first video is an instant classic! Starts so trippy (a geese eating marshmallows with a giraffe... in a cave???) and ends so very sad. POOR BEAR!!!
Thanks for the tip. Will try and listen to them, although there's so much music, so little time!!
Just replied to your comment on my blog (geez, are we self-referential or what?). Controversy is served!!
Baci!

J-Mac said...

Nice one. 'Songs from the Deep Forest' is my favourite album of the past year. One problem with your blog...Pete Wilson IS Duke Special so it's a case of his rather than their music. That aside it's great to hear you whipping up support for our favourite Belfast songsmith.

I know he's been playing around for years with different monikers but he's really hit on something with the gramophone, deadlocks and the crazy Chip Bailey.

Baron Hashbrown said...

Cool. I like it. The drummer reminds me of 'Uncle Peter' from Vic Reeves show many years back as seen here at the end of one of their bizarre sketches.

The Wee Italian Chick said...

M-your ecclectic literaly knowledge impresses me. I shall try to pay you a visit soon.

CA-Indeed, it's the neverending dilemma "too much to do,not enough time to do it!"..know exactly what ya mean!

J-Mac,good to see you on my blog.Thanks again for introducing me to Pete Wilson aka Duke Special:I stand corrected!;-)He is incredible,must have listened to that CD hundred times over!!Re:whipping up support for the N.Irish talents,what can I say:I love your homeland(must have sent dozens of turists across since I first visited it)-guess it must be the greeness of your grass!!

Baron,my youtube addict pal,your videos are always hilarious!Made me giggle!:)