Thursday, February 1

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall, Who is the Fairest of Us All?

~ An Apple A Day Keeps the Doctor Away...
I rembember I used to be petrified, then enraged, then ecstatic whenever the evil witch from Snow White appeared on the next page of my book of fables as a child. Similarly, my fury against unhealthy eating has reached a culminant point of indignation.I can guarantee that if you watched it you'll surely remember Morgan Spurlock's 2004 film/documentary on the effects of binge eating and fast foods. "Super-Size-Me"is a comical yet tragically realistic depiction of what unhealthy consumption of the wrong kind of foods can do to our organisms. If you haven't seen it yet, I raccommend you do or at least read about it on this link. I am proud to say that thanks to my wonderful mom and cultural heritage, I have been a conscientious eater for most of my life. My grandparents,who became farmers in their 50's, impressed upon me (quite forcefully at times) the nutritional value of fresh ingredients, five-a-day,living a balanced life-style and that half a glass of wine per meal can be considered as a miraculous medicinal remedy! I love fruit & veg of all sort (even though I am allergic to bananas..) and I have never had an issue with eating my greens - at my house there were no questions asked about it: you could cry,trow up on the dining table, fake an epileptic fit-you had to eat them regardless. Call it harsh, call it unnecessary, I am so incredibly grateful for all that. I had a very little appetite and an unimaginative palat as a child.Then,as a teenager my relationship with food became more and more conflictual and my twisted little head would forcefully rule over a debilitating body. I now thank God for making me whole again by reconciling my mind with my spirit and anatomy. I now love food in all of its extravagant and creative forms; however,my personal experiences have massively shaped my current views. Whenever I see wee Ronald McDonald there are a few images that spring to mind:



1.If he lives by what
he preaches,Ron should
look a lot more like the
picture on the left than
the iconic smiley git on
the right...





2.It's no sci-fi: look at his striking resemblance with my other childhood nightmare,It the Clown,with who he shares not only a similar phisical aspect,but also a common determination to viciously distroy and make kids' lives miserable...nice!


3.And last but definitively not least, this is a picture I would like to see a lot more often!Ihihih!
By now I've kinda lost my train of thought..oh yeah, the reason I started to blog about this is that I am frustrated to see hyperactive,lazy teenagers who stuff their faces with junk food and cheap pop whilst being unnecessarily fussy with their greens! Enough, so from tomorrow we will be ditching the old style tuck shop from the youth group to start selling fruit smooties and home made healthy cakes to promote healthy eating and,hopefully, happier individuals in the long run --WATCH THIS SPACE! (and lets pray the smoothies don't get chucked at me instead!)

10 comments:

The Wee Italian Chick said...

I think I can deal with an hyperactive youth-leader..not sure I can say the same about 30 screemin' teen-agers! Lol!Enjoy the chocs!

Gorilla Bananas said...

Yes, the Mediterranean diet is excellent! I love fresh fruit, green vegetables, green shoots and insects. I also approve of the way that Italians drink wine with their meals rather than getting pissed in pubs like the Nordic humans. I hope you are teaching these good lessons to the students of Manchester.

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Nice to see you on the blog,Gorilla Banana,I'm kinda hooked to yours by now..yep,I'm a woman on a mission:promote the overall wellbeing of..the mancunians for now!
Re:Lollobrigida on your blog,I think human females stop reproducing in menopause cause,unlike apes,human babies tend to be needing a lot more care than other mammels and God knows we can't stick around forever!!

Mu Tai Dong said...

如果您是真正地意大利语怎么您不张贴用意大利语!! 伪造品!
How if you are truly Italian you do not post with Italian! ! Imitation item!

Gorilla Bananas said...

"unlike apes,human babies tend to be needing a lot more care"

Good point, Miss Chick. Humans take a lot longer than apes to untie themselves from the maternal apron strings. I hope you'll write more about Italian cuisine.

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Tell me about it,Gorilla Bananas!:I have far too many "mummy boys" boy-friends! Humans are peculiar beings indeed!xx

Miao 妙 said...

Even today, I still have a phobia for clowns too.

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Welcome to my blog,Miao,and,I really hate clowns too;however,the circus de soleil has made me change my mind on this matter - stay tuned in for a post on this!

Mu Tai Dong said...

我恨小丑也是! 我恨Miao! 她过去常是我的最好的朋友但她打断我!
I hate the comedian clown also am! I hate Miao! She passes often is my best friend but she breaks me!

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.