Wednesday, February 14

Or Some Cruel Valentine..

Darlin',Your Broken Heart Was Never on My Mind!
Not to worry,my fellow bloggers,this ain't another Valentines' "woe is me I am single" type of post!!!As I often tell my dear friend Mike,"singleness is not a disease",it's a status and,on days like this,a really good one to have too! The title of this post is taken from the song Portrait by Duke Special (who I posted about previously)..and on a day infesed by cheese-filled heart shaped balloons and wee-blond-curly-haired men in little pants shooting arrows at seemingly spell-bound targets for blatant consummeristic propaganda,I feel like as if I had been tricked by some rather cruel Valentine indeed!!! To add to the enormous frustration of the last two months (I cannot honestly think of anything else which could go wrong in my life),on Monday I got lost around flippin' Birmingham (hopefully none of you readers is from there - if you are,my condolences:you live in the worst place in Britain by far!!!),miraculously got to Stansted Airport on time and then,due to the unbelievable calmness of the bus driver who drove the shuttle service from the car park to the terminal building, I arrived to the check in desk 2 whole minutes after the check-in for my flight had closed. Having been sat in a car for a grand total of five and a half hours,and being absolutely desperate to get home to see my poorly mother,I implored the stewart to let me through. After I explained the situation and when I eventually started to bawling up, the muppet sarcastically asked me to stop playing the "crying-card",because it wasn't going to work with him! Well done,tough guy:you are officially a cretin and a pretty big one too!!!So I got a flight transfer to the following day,which I meant that I got to spend the next 24 hrs in London. Now,you all know my passion for travel and adventure and I guess that,under different circumstances,I should have been delighted to spend a whole day in the capital..but,no.Not when it's pouring it down,it's gloomy,all of your Londoner-friends have got married and moved out of the big city and you cannot find room in any hotels..wandering with your suitcase and a certain amount of bitterness.Soaked,sweaty and £95 later,I found room at the Ibis hotel..mmmmmmmm...niiiiiiice! Cried my eyes out a little more (by this stage I had completely ignored my ability to produce any more tears),drunk half a bottle of rather nice Chilean white and crashed under the crisp white cotton sheets. The day after,hell bent to get that flight on time,I made my way to the airport four hours early.Got there,checked in,went to sicurity,got searched 'cause I'd left my vaselline out of the sealed transparent plastic bag,boarded onto the plane,took off...then we started to fly lower and lower (on a perfectly sunny day) an hour later landed to what,to much of our disappointment,was yet again STANSTED AIRPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!A fellow on the plane had low blood pressure and the doc on board didn't want to take responsability for him (fair enough).So we stopped,someone on the plane explained to someone who told someone else why the paramedics were taking one of the passengers out. Then we were told we would have taken off again within ten minutes. Sure thing an hour and a half later we were still on the ground and being told we would have had to change aircraft..so we did:two hours and 15 minutes later. Got offered a round of 'complementary' soft drinks and finally landed to Naples close to 10 pm on Tuesday instead of Monday at 6 pm..moral of the story,I never got to see mom until this morning. Happy days. Courtesy of Easyjet. At moments like this I find immense solace in the fact that my faith is not exclusively based on emotivity,but it is reinforced and sustained by theological pilars whereby,even when the world is falling apart, God is still the answer. Thank God!

5 comments:

Cayetana Altovoltaje said...

If I hadn't just posted a rant about the stupidity of superstitions, I'd say you suffered from a very bad case of "Tuesday the 13th". See, the saying goes "En Martes y 13, ni te cases ni te embarques" (neither marry nor travel).
Really sorry you had to suffer all those misfortunes, but glad you're at last safe in Naples. Enjoy your family time!

Baron Hashbrown said...

My sister lives only a few miles from Stanstead, I'm sure she would have taken in a lost soul! Oh well, next time maybe! And yes, Brum is a maze. One of my clients is just off the infamous 'spaghetti junction' apparently the design was based on an octopus trying to swat a fly! I take a different route home every time!

Hope you're having a better time of it over there.

Gorilla Bananas said...

Glad to hear you to made it to Napoli eventually, Miss Chick, and best wishes for your mom.

Come Back Brighter said...

I'll have to remember not try using the "crying card" at an airport -- what twat that guy was, even if wasn't going to help he could at least have been a little sympathetic.
Still, glad you got there eventually.

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Thanks for the symphaty,guys,you are like my little internet family,aren't you? I am glad I am here too at last!!! Cayetana,you may be right!!! Blog you soon,xx