Wednesday, May 30

Changing the World over a Cup of Coffee

Predictable. Tired of reading my blog for the past 8 months, you will all be expecting an article on fairtrade. Wrong. Or, at least, partially wrong. Last night I came home early, trying to rest my voice and recover from this terrible laryngitis. As you do, I thought I'd treat myself to a cup of caramel macchiato from Starbucks (small,skinny, no cream, of course!). I have had issues with Starbucks last year, before their fair trade choice, Estima; I did not pay enough attention to understand their "fairer option".. Starbucks is an American multinational with a gigantic turn over each year - let's say that life as Mrs Starbucks must be pretty pampered! As such, we are talking money, not ethics. Ethical consumerism is often, in my opinion, a contradiction in words. Nonetheless, public pressure on coffee shops is the evident proof of how the individual can, collectively, impact society in a positive way. Mr Starbucks charged me £3 for a small cup of coffee - that's roughly five coffee grounds, half a cup of skimmed milk, a splash of caramel and some hot water..obviously that three quid needs to pay for the girl at the till, the lad who wrote on the plastic cup, the lady who actually made me the drink and the young chap who is sweeping the floor around me..that's not to count the landlord who owns the place, the suppliers, the energy suppliers, the coffee growers, the shipping company and, of course, some profit for Mr Starbucks - after all, it's his business we are talking about! But this discussion will be for another time. Perhaps, just give a little thought to the coffee growers who has never even tried a cup of coffee and gets paid £3 a week (best possible scenario). But that's for another time.. What I wanted to draw you attention upon is that as I was about to pay for my coffee, I noticed a couple of charity boxes for the Lymphoma association. Isn't it bizarre how much more sensitive we become to issues when they touch our lives personally? I felt like a hypocrite. Nevertheless, if it wasn't for cancer research associations such as this, funded exclusively by people's generosity, my mom may not be here today. So when you buy a fairtrade cup of coffee, or a charity wrist band, or give spare change to someone..you are virtually changing the world. Just think.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ivonne, this is John Owens from college. I left a note on your go conquer the world with a towel message thanking you for the Michaelangelo calender you gave me. Do you still love the renaissance culture as I do? I'm sorry that your Mother has been ill Miss. Did she have cancer, your post suggests that? I understand what it is like with my Mam having the brain tumour when I was at college. Is your Mother getting better? Love John

The Wee Italian Chick said...

John Owen! Man: long time no see!Great to see you on the blog!Have only just read your comment on the old post you mentioned (together with that of John Glass)..had no idea even he read me! Lol! Dunno what number Smeedy boy gave you, but feel free to drop us an e-mail - my address is still the same! I'd be awesome to have a wee catch up! Hope all is well with you. Blessings,xx

Mimosa said...

"I Count"! :)

Anonymous said...

As you know I am learning more about lymphoma everyday. Good news today though Ivonne. Some God news as well about my dad! Hurrah!!

Come Back Brighter said...

Giving spare change to someone can often keep them on the streets, though... But great point otherwise!

Come Back Brighter said...

"they'll kill the planet, just to make a profit -- this is the generation that has to stop it"