Thursday, May 3

Is This England, or Not?

~Cultural Learnings of an Italian in Salford~

It is rather strange when people count as history the time and events of your life time. July 1983 is the opening title of last night's movie, "This is England".. paradoxically, this is also the month and year I was born in. If you liked movies in the likes of Trainspotting and Kes, you are most definitively going to enjoy this little gem of British cinematography. Set in a bleak East Midlands town in 1983, it focuses on the life of twelve-year-old Shaun to then kaleidoscopically expand to the Thatcher's government, deprivation, greasy spoons, dislocation, nationalism, skinheads, substances abuse, extremism, racism, violence, the Falklands, England in a compelling showcase of raw realistic acting talent. A side to England not all of us may want to align ourselves with that, crudely, is not the mere shadow of a forgotten past, long removed from us. On the contrary, the parallels with today's England are striking. Unemployment, deprivation and dislocation; loss of identity and an often ignorant, violent and abusive search for national values; a shady government and a country fighting a senseless war which does not belong to us. From the eye of a mere observer, drown into an active personage of a history that is not my own. This is part of the England of my next door British-Bulldog tattooed neighbours who call me 'Miss Bolognese' and ask me to cook for them every time they see me, of the British-Pakistani convenience store round the corner from my house, of my half Maltese florist; this is the England of the paper-round kid who puts through my door a BNP leaflet stating what the party stands for and with an invitation for me and my household (an Italian and a Spaniard at the time) to join them, of the teen-agers I work with and I still struggle to understand at times, of the PMT Chinese lady at the local fish 'n' chips, of those who have curry for tea and leave it all behind for a place in the sun. So, is this England or not? I often discuss with a particular friend of mine what defines Britishness. Like Italian-ness is not defined by loud, football fanatic, poetry-reading, sunglasses-wearing, hairy tanned voracious pasta devourers, I doubt Britishness is described by white ass, tattooed, drunken hooligans, 'stif-upper-lip' fish 'n' chips with mushy peas two bed-roomed red-brick terrace house dwellers ... so, then, what defines Britishness, what makes us who we are?

9 comments:

Tanya Heasley said...

I use to live in a part of England that you described(Thurrock,Essex.) Where I live now(Diss, Norfolk), it's no way similer, (much better place to live).

What I've come to realise is that there are good and bad places in England but it's not all bad. We are a multi-cultral society (what does an English person look like anyway) and sadly not everyone gets along.

I am an English girl and British, but my British neighbours (the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish) have their own identity and should not be tarnished with the same English brush.

Brian said...

sorry two heasley stalkers here, your picture of fish and chips just gave me one of those pangs for home moments. Friday nights i would often buy fish and chips, it's friday today and we will have chicken and salad!! I might protest, sorry no answers on britishness, I think it is somewhat indefinable, there are national stereo types but when we scratch a little deeper most cultures are very diverse with many different shades of nationality. I don't know who I am...

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Upsy! Have made a grown man home sick and confused on his national identity! (ihihih) (",)

Glad to have the Heasley family well represented here today!! It makes me feel part of a global family!!!

Baron Hashbrown said...

A timely post considering the local election results. As Scotland and to a lesser extent Wales, make further steps towards independence, Britain becomes more divided and fragmented. Humans are pack animals by nature. We love to label ourselves, form groups and conform to stereotypes because it gives us security. Unfortunately it is also the basis for most wars, prejudice and gang violence. As Britain continues to become more diverse many people complain that we are loosing our identity but ask them to define what that identity is and they will struggle. It's different for everyone and like all of culture it's constantly changing and evolving. The more insecure among us find this difficult to accept.

When we are part of a group (be it a country, town, political party, gang, football club etc...) we feel challenged by those who are comfortable in not being part of it. It challenges our own perception that our group is the 'right' one. So we feel that this person should either be converted to our way of thinking or rejected and labeled as 'wrong'. The instinct is that 'if you're not part of our pack then you are the enemy, you are probably want to take my food and home away from me so I don't trust you'. It's the basis for patriotism and in the words of George Bernard Shaw "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it."

Come Back Brighter said...

I have a post somewhere touching on what England means to me. The trouble is, when I take a good look t my country I'm not sure I like what I see. Will find the link for you if you would like.

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Jay: I'd love to read your views on 'Englishness'.

Baron: first of all, welcome back: you have been greatly missed.
Your comment makes my post look rather shallow and uncultured by comparison. Loved the George Bernard Shaw quote especially.

Baron Hashbrown said...

No, no, don't say that. Nothing wrong with your post at all. Considering you are talking about the culture of a country which isn't your native land, I am more than impressed. I will try and post again soon. I'm suffering from a combination of not enough time and writer's block!

I'm rather cynical about patriotism but maybe it's because I don't feel comfortable with either of the two poles of British culture. In Shrewsbury we live in a bubble of picture-postcard middle-class Britain. It's a long way from your description of 'This is England'. The politics around here is right wing too but mostly because the people would like the bulldog tattoos, skinheads and greasy spoons quietly removed to make room for a new croquet lawn...

Baron Hashbrown said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmeW1EJ_SPU

The Wee Italian Chick said...

An istant classic, Baron! I will try to post it soon,xx