Wednesday, November 29

The Ideal Boyfriend


At the moment there are a few CDs that I am savoring like a gourmet meal, gargling down like vintage French champagne. Tom Waits' "Real Gone", Rodrigo y Gabriela (saw them in concert last Sunday..how amazing were they: an absolute sound sensation and pleasure to the ears). Really liking "Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah" - they had been banned for a wee while, but they are back in full honour now and really loving them (which is good considering that we are going to see them in Feb!). Nevertheless the greatest discovery of the past two weeks have got to be the "Dresden Dolls" (www.dresdendolls.com); although their name and vaudevillian showmanship conjure the atmosphere of a smoky backroom cabaret bar in 30s Germany, The Dresden Dolls are actually a Bostonian duo who have translated a love of musical melodrama into one of the most fascinating and extraordinary musical expressions around. Brian Viglione plays drums while Amanda Palmer hammers the life out of her grand piano, singing tales of the peculiar characters that inhabit the twilight world of her Brechtian imagination. Entering their world is a joyful and intoxicating experience. I may disagree with some of the song contents, but their undoubted talent, admirable courage in presenting something refreshingly "different" and artistically creative is a real ecstatic musical experience. Out of the two albums, "Coin Operated Boy" from their 2002 debut album, is my favourite song. It is, in my opinion, their trademark: blatantly arty, ingeniously composed, exquisitely articulated and innocently sinister.. Moreover, who has never secretly (or more openly) wished that sentimental relationships were idealistically blissful like Palmer's fantasy?!
I sure did... Enjoy the video!

4 comments:

Cayetana Altovoltaje said...

Geez, I've created a monster :D
Glad you liked them so much. I've heard you singing that song lately, and the video is a riot!!! My favorite is the shower scene, with the duckie and the brush handle joke... can't believe YOU posted THAT!!! :D :D :D

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Yep, you have defenitively introduced me to some dodgy stuff...but I love them! Evil is every where: the way one chooses to respond to it is what makes a substantial difference. I see stuff I may disagree of, laugh about it and move on - promise I won't try to put it into practice!!! (",)

Baron Hashbrown said...

Oh she's into some dodgy stuff alright, that mad duckie woman! Can't believe I missed Rodrigo y Gabriela. I didn't know they were touring.

I think most people must be like you; I bought a truly evil shirt last week and when anyone see's it they laugh and move on...

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Does it mean you've been wearing the same shirt all this time?!Had been wanering about the smell ihihih! Rodrigo y Gabriela were awesome - real shame you missed them, if you want I can keep you updated on quality gigs..Ps: The house is feeling a wee bit cramped at the mo with all them duckies!Doh!