Tuesday, November 7

The Modern Woman



Stereotypes are the essence of our society; and we all so easily judge and attribute labels for people we all pretenciously know better than..

This concept intrigues me and often irritates me especially when it is the product of begotted and ignorant church members. Stereotypes or more likely "not fitting in them" was the reason why I was ostracised as a teenager, criticised as a growing woman and fought against as an adult by those one would have expected the greatest support from.

I left my country,my family and my comfort zone behind in the persuit of God's sovreign calling upon my life: the search for better and greater things where a pure, genuine and biblical concept of Christian faith is persued rather than a life of apparences and cliques and etiquet..and for that, I was looked down upon.

There are times when I look at my life and I can see where they are coming from: I am not married, not in a serious relationship, not living at home; I don't have a normal job, I like Japanese food and have a nose ring; I wanna travel the world whilst loving to live in Salford..in other words: I am different. Different from stereotypes, but proud to be me. And even prouder to know that God loves me exactly for who I am.

Nonetheless, I look at women from the past, icons of feminility and rapturing beauty and I wish contemporary women had preseved some of that charm and class..or should I say: "I wish I could be bothered more with the way I portray my feminility..." I mean, consider Grace Kelly, Greta Garbo, Bridgitte Bardot, Gina Lollobrigida, Audry Hepburn, Monica Bellucci, Sofia Loren..their grace, their delicate features, smoldering smiles, elegant walks, perfect hair(even straight out of bed!), lovely longette skirts (never revealing too much but always looking very desirable)..MAN: we have gone a long way from that!!! In fairness, I doubt Grace Kelly ever had three jobs on the go, I guess Monica Bellucci never attempted to walk 3 miles to work in those sexy high heals and did Audry ever had a bad hair day?!? Just another thought!

However, all these excuses do not suffice: gotta get myself sorted and bring something of that classical beauty and charm back..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lollo looks a little like you in that pic. And hey, my hair is perfect straight out of bed, too!!

(...pause...)

NOT!!!

(that was a Borat joke, btw)

Baron Hashbrown said...

I know what you mean but I think it goes for men too. Good manners, charm, good posture and people taking a pride in their appearence, seems to be dying out. It's as much a sin (of uncoolness) these days to have gone to too much effort than it was to be underdressed in the past. But I love to dress up and it's so good to see people giving it their best.

But I'm afraid I can be as gulity as anyone. I sometimes just bum around in a lounge-suit when my tailcoat is at the cleaners...

The Wee Italian Chick said...

The Borat joke is ace,Bea!You are learning well and quite fast too!
Steve: nothing to apologise for - ask Bea what I wear around the house..definitively no way near that ideal of feminine charm!!! Hope you had a nice b'day!