Monday, November 20

Travelling Without Moving

"Travelling Without Moving" is the title of a track from the homonimous album by Jamiroquai. I have always loved the song, but more surprisingly the concept behind it. At the moment I am skint as skint (not "skinned" as Steve rightly pointed out!) can be and, travelling appears to be very much of a luxury. However, I am reminded of the time when I was a child and imaginary travels were my most treasured treat. I remember one of the first books I ever owned was a "Barbie travelling book" - pathetic,I know, but I used to love it. Not only did it open my mind to the excitements of geography and of various cultural issues, but it also gave me an appetite for world travels and discoveries. A couple of years later a friend of the family bought us a "glow-in-the-dark globe".. for me it was like the wardrobe in "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" : the secret source of amazement and wonder. I would turn the lights off and suddenly be transferred into another world.. the white beaches of French Polynesia, the dye pools of Morocco, Rio's Bidonville, South African Farms, Inca's temples in Mexico and Christmas on the beach in Australia..

2 comments:

Baron Hashbrown said...

Er do you mean skint?

The best thing with imaginary travel is that it never rains unless you want it to and you don't have to waste time in airports waiting for delayed flights. There is also the option of time travel to add to the range of possibilities. You know, I can't stop raving about the movie I saw last night but for all of the above you should see Russian Ark... hmm, is St Petersberg in the Barbie traveling book?

Hope you're feeling better. It's sure not to be man-flu unless you have a rogue gene. You see, men are genetically prone to suffer from illnesses such as flu 10 times worse than women. It's because we need to have a down side to being able to open jars, turn keys in back doors etc...

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Thanks for correcting me,Steve,I'll blame my ignorance on the flu - I like your theory on "men being more prone than women to get the flu", interesting indeed. May be one day I'll write my thesis on this fascinating subject. Re: Russian Ark,I must check out your blog and get down to see it and yes, Russia was in Barbie's Travelling Book - but I have moved a long way from that!